Monday, December 14, 2009

Make-Up Mix Up

I am one for fashion, but not 'facial fashion'. Through my years I have learned that I will certainly drop a buck in an instant on designer denim and an irresistible pair of stiletto's. Which means, I don't leave much budget for make-up and when I do shop for make-up I think of the pair of shoes I could be buying instead of the $100, no-good-cover up collection at a make-up counter. 

A recent hiccup in my low-maintenance cosmetic life threw me back into the stores to find a fix.  My absolute favorite mascara is Max Factor's 2000 Calorie and the UK brand was recently discontinued in the States. Although it is available to order online, its' a hassle to remember to order each time my tube gets low. So, I am here to share my cosmetic favorites and some fun things to try when you also need to find your fix. 


When the mascara you have used for years is discontinued and you are on a hunt for the perfect replacement, go to Sephora and get their LashStash Mascara Deluxe Sampler for $39 which features 10 samples of different designer mascaras! What perfect timing to have found such a fabulous set! I would much rather spend $3 and some change on 10 different tubes before I trash my cash on brands I know I'll end up hating...






If you're not one for foundation or all-over concealer but still want a little tinted coverage, you must try Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer from her Flawless Face cosmetic collection. It is incredibly lightweight and comes in regular and oil-free versions for $42.  Now, $42 might be considered "spending a buck", but this tube will last you at least 6 months, which averages out to only $7 a month. This is the product where a little goes a very long way and it's available in seven different shades so you can find the tone perfect for your skin. If you want to try but are hesitant in spending the money, simply ask for a sample!

 






Extra coverage under my eyes is incredibly essential. Concealers come in a variety of forms, brands and prices.  My favorite lands, again, with Laura Mercier's Secret Concealer.  This product is made specifically for your eyes to conceal dark circles and discoloration. It's formulated thinner than a concealer you would use on your entire face and was developed to be lightweight but full of coverage. Go to your local Laura Mercier retailer without concealer under your eyes and have a Laura Mercier expert color match this product for you.  You will instantly see the difference! Not only does it cover, it stays with you throughout the day and for only $22, this is another product that lasts. 



Quick Tip: Get the entire Flawless Face Kit from Laura Mercier and learn how to lightly layer your look with all the essentials. Available only at Sephora, this starter kit is valued at $159 and is offered at $65! Celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, Oprah and Kate Beckinsale paint their face with LM every day and we all know how flawlessly fabulous they all look, so indulge in the same products for the same flawless face! 


Laura Mercier retails in Sephora and Nordstrom and is making its way into more available retailers like Macy's and Amazon.com. My cosmetic tip: register at Sephora and they send you lots of fun coupons via email. I just got one for $15 off a purchase of $35 or more which means the $42 tinted moisturizer is only $27 with the coupon! Not to mention, department stores hardly run discount deals on cosmetics! 


Add that subtle runway shimmer to your look with Benefit Cosmetics Moon Beam. This "iridescent complexion enhancer" can be added to your cheeks or brow bone for a highlighting glow. Simply dab it on the areas you want enhanced right over your bronzer or powder and rub in for that subtle sheen. Another great product that will last you all year long!